Skip to content | Sunday, 27-May-2018 | Text Only View | Site Map | Text size: A A A


Click here to download the browsealoud software (this link will open in a new window)

sheltered housing

Sheltered Housing

What is Sheltered Housing?                  

Sheltered Housing Schemes offer specially designed housing for the elderly, with access to the assistance of a warden, alarm systems in times of emergency and the advantages of social activities and companionship.

Unlike residential or nursing homes each unit of accommodation in a Sheltered Housing Scheme has its own front door.  Schemes comprise of groups of unfurnished self-contained flats or bungalows.  Some schemes are modern complexes with communal facilities such as a lounge, laundry, guest room and gardens, whilst others are groups of bungalows or flats often with a small individual garden.  Accommodation is available for couples and for single people.

All properties have an intercom system linked to a 24 hour call centre and all schemes provide support for tenants to make sure help is on hand when needed.


What types of Sheltered Housing are available?

Please select the following link to view a list of sheltered schemes by area, type and landlord: Types of Sheltered Housing that are available

What will the Sheltered Housing Manager do for me?

The Care Services Officers presence will provide the reassurance of knowing that help is available in times of difficulty.

The Care Services Officer will contact you twice a day, a physical visit in the morning and by an intercom call in the afternoon.  Additional visits will also be made if necessary.

If there is an emergency the Care Services Officer will respond as soon as possible and will give whatever assistance is required.  If you are taken ill the Care Services Officer will call the Doctor, inform your relatives/friends and contact other services such as district nursing, meals-on-wheels, home care etc.

While you are ill there is no reason why your relatives/friends shouldnt stay with you in your home although in some schemes a guest room is available by request.

In schemes where there is a communal lounge the tenants are encouraged to use it.  The Sheltered Housing Manager will help to organise regular social events and outings as well as lunch clubs which are always popular.  Tenants are free to join in or not exactly as they wish.

Who can apply for Sheltered Housing?

Any person aged over 55 living within or wishing to move to the Basingstoke and Deane Borough can apply. In order to apply, an application to join the Housing Needs Register must first be completed.  A form can be obtained by contacting Housing Services, Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council, Civic Offices, London Road, Basingstoke, Hampshire  RG21 4AH, in writing, by telephoning on (01256) 845250 or alternatively, you may wish to download the form at the bottom of this page.


Site powered by Abritas  |  Cookie policy